Paralegal – Employment Law
Company namePhelps Dunbar LLP
Organization Type Law Firm
Job TypeLegal Staff
Posted on Feb 22, 2021
Location Tampa, FL, United States
Industry Legal Practice Area Labor & Employment / Labor & Employment Litigation /Litigation – Labor & Employment
Phelps Dunbar LLP is an AmLaw 200 full-service law firm. The Employment Law Paralegal will perform various substantive legal duties in a fast-paced Labor and Employment environment under the supervision and direction of the attorneys in the Tampa office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and maintain files from the inception of the case through the completion.
- Conduct factual investigations and interviews to identify key parties, related issues and relevant documents for the preparation of discovery.
- Assist in the preparation of answers to interrogatories and responses to requests for production of documents including the production of electronically stored information (ESI).
- Coordinate depositions of parties requested by attorneys.
- Summarize and organize depositions, records and testimony utilizing litigation support technology tools.
- Draft various pleadings and filings in Federal and State level civil litigation.
- Assist with all aspects of case litigation, trial preparation including identifying and marking exhibits for motions, position papers, mediation depositions and trial.
- Verify case citations in briefs for current validity and accuracy through Westlaw.
- Interact with various government and court officials as well as with clients.
- Maintain attorney calendars with case deadlines.
- Assist in trial with exhibits, demonstrative aids and witnesses.
- Maintain timesheets and meet firm deadlines in accordance with Firm policies.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience Required:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED is required. A four-year college degree and a certificate in paralegal studies is preferred. Significant prior experience may be substituted for a combination of the educational requirements.
- A minimum of two years litigation experience and the ability to manage complex litigation using current technology is required. Three years of litigation experience is preferred.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Must have a high level of computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office Software Suite and a working knowledge of a document management system.
- Experience using electronic resources and litigation support software is strongly preferred.
- Excellent time management, organizational abilities and strong proofreading skills are also required.
- Ability to perform responsibilities as outlined above, both in terms of the quality and quantity of work.
- Ability to meet firm billing requirements.
- Knowledge of litigation support technology utilized in practice area.
- Ability to work independently; degree of motivation and initiative.
- Dependability and cooperation with attorneys, clients and other support staff.
- Ability to meet required deadlines.
Phelps Dunbar LLP
Phelps Dunbar LLP is an AmLaw 200 full-service law firm.