System ID 674786
Employment Status Full-Time
Unit Name ECKERD COLLEGE GROUNDS
Target Hourly Rate $11.00
Eckerd College is looking for a Groundskeeper to join the team.
Monday – Friday 6a – 2:30p
Overtime and holidays occasionally needed
The Groundskeeper will landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Work typically consists of a variety of tasks; examples include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, edging, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, irrigation, sweeping of parking lots and sidewalks, snow and ice management, and sports field setup and maintenance. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Mows lawns and trims grass around walks, flower beds, trees and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees, at the direction of the immediate Supervisor, to shape and improve growth.
- Removes fallen or damaged leaves, branches, and twigs using mowers, tractors and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and maintains flower beds, mulch beds, or other decorative vegetation.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters and uses weed and insect control products at the direction of the immediate Supervisor to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Removes snow and ice from walks, roads and driveways, utilizing hand tools, machines or vehicles.
- Spreads salt, picks up litter, rakes, removes debris from hard surfaces. .
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts, including, but not limited to the filling of potholes and the sweeping of accumulated debris along curb lines.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots.
- Repairs fences, gates, walls, irrigation systems, walks and outbuildings using carpentry, masonry and painting tools.
- May perform marking and maintenance of sports fields.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- May operate trucks and assorted power equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- May participate in the setup and tear-down of event furniture, such as tables, chairs and tents.
- May participate in the movement of furniture, supplies and material.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity in light of Sodexo time and attendance policy and/or client operating hours.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 1 to 2 years of related work experience.
- Ability to present self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Adapts procedures, processes, tools equipment and techniques to accomplish the requirements of the position.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by fellow employees.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Possess valid driver’s license if assigned to drive a vehicle.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends, and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to heat/cold.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Wears protective clothing and/or Personal Protective Equipment required by the work environment or governmental regulations.
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.